BACKGROUNDMatthew was raised in Lexington, Massachusetts where he began playing the drum set at the age of 10. His early musical influences included jazz education in the public school system as well as playing the drums in the church band where his father was the pastor and mother led the band playing guitar or piano. Matthew was fortunate to study with the late, great jazz drum instructor Alan Dawson, who happened to live just a few miles away in Lexington.
Matthew begain composing music in high school and continued this pursuit at Indiana University where his mentor was Swedish composer Sven-David Sandström and his percussion teacher was Anthony Cirone. Since 2006 Matthew has called the Pacific Northwest home residing in Seattle Washington.
- Bachelor of Music in Composition, Indiana University Jacobs School of Music 2003
- Composition Teachers
- Tom Baker: 2011-2012 Seattle, WA
- Wayne Horvitz: 2011 Seattle, WA
- Sven-David Sandström: 2000-2003 Indiana University
- P.Q. Phan: 2002 Indiana University
- Percussion Teachers
- Anthony Cirone: 2001-2003
- Alan Dawson: 1991-1993
- Escape Sequence Violin, Cello, Piano, Drum set 2012 (8:00) – Seattle Composers’ Salon, recorded
- Blankets & Bioluminescence Album 2012 – Published on Spotify, Amazon, iTunes, etc.
- Halloween March Full Orchestra 2011 (4:00) –Northwest Symphony Orchestra
- Thrice Parting for Yangguan Orchestra 2011 (5:00) – Un-Premiered
- Europa Lander Music Violin, Piano, Percussion 2007– Synchronicity Piano & Percussion Duo
- Turtle Music Concert Band 2005 (8:00) – Indiana University Concert Band
- Freight Train, 9 Percussionists 2005 – Indiana University Percussion Ensemble
- Global Sustainable Soundscapes Network Sonoran Desert Workshop Travel Grant Recipient 2013
- Tribeca New Music Festival Composer 2006 & 2007
- Marimba Quartet Published by Honeyrock Publishing and Performed Worldwide 2001-present
- Third Place Winner Percussive Arts Society Composition Contest 2000